Fall Sneak Peak
Autumn 2011 will be showing a fair amount of back to front fashion; that is, wearing apparel that is made so either the back looks like the front, or the front looks like the back. How will we see this sassy trend?
1. A fitted blazer jacket updated by front-style pockets added as a back detail.
2. A leather dress, modified completely back to front, including a collar and button fastenings that resemble a back closure.
3. A hood brought forward to imitate a voluminous cowl neck.
Body Jewelry Hint: this look works for piercings too. Just wear the crystal or logo detailing of helix studs in back for a stunning view from behind.
Big hair is becoming big celebrity beauty news.
1. Jennifer Lopez and Elle MacPherson are kicking up their curls with horizontal volume.
2. UK import Cheryl Cole is becoming known for her huge X Factor USA mane, and subsequent L’Oréal Elnett ad campaigns, the most recent of which featured even more voluminous looks called Glam It, Rock It, and Work It.
3. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge sports a more wearable take on the big hair trend with a perfect shining blow-out.
4. Gwen Stefani’s Cruella de Vil-inspired quaffs rocked the Cannes Film Festival.
5. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley also tipped the big hair scale with a glossy bouffant a la Brigitte Bardot for UK Elle magazine’s cover.
6. The London catwalks were awash with cotton-candy texture, while in Paris the updated cone-like bouffant took center stage, and Milan saw deconstructed heavy front volume.
7. Jean Paul Gaultier was a scene of super-charged beehives.
Celebrities turn their bare backs for a stunning view.
1. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley masterminds the backless trend in Max Mara and stylish Michael Kors
2. Alessandra Ambrosio and Penelope Cruz put ultra-feminine spins on this style with back detailing like crystal accents and spaghetti-thin ribbon ties.
3. Cutout styles are also popular, with fabric coming together at the nape of the neck and opening out to reveal the back.
4. Anja Rubik chooses rounded cutouts that bare the shoulder blades.
5. At the CFDA Fashion Awards, Alessandra Ambrosio’s scarlet Prabal Gurung gown opened to offer a peak at a well toned lower back.
6. Crossover straps are being flaunted recently by Magda Gomes, Julia Restoin-Roitfeld, and Kelly Ripa who went backless for her appearance on the Late Show.
7. Kristen Stewart’s Proenza Schouler gown with zigzag center detailing melded two facets of this trend: statement straps, and racerback accents.
Other amazing fashion trends that are easy for us mere mortals to pull off? Hickory stripes as an alternative to denim, and the breezy updated retro appeal of the knotted blouse.
Body Jewelry Hint: to really amp up the new retro, add some cherry red body jewelry, or match up your hickory with more blue and white stripes.