Hope everyone is having a great week so far! Guess what... It's time for The Tea!
It's been REALLY hot where I live, which is getting me very excited for the nice, warm weather. What better time than now to discuss summertime piercing care?
- It's totally fine to be pierced at any time of the year, but when it comes to getting a new mod during the summer months, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- If your piercing is fresh, try to keep it out of the sun, especially if it's still healing. You definitely don't want to get a sunburn on/around it!
- Be careful when applying sunscreen, lotions, and other skin products. It's good to keep your skin healthy, moisturized, and protected from the sun, but you don't want to get any chemicals in or around your new mod.
- Don't swim with a new piercing - ponds, hot tubs, pools, or otherwise. Bacteria can get in your wound and cause an infection, and harsh chemicals like chlorine can dry out the piercing site.
- You can also try a waterproof bandage to keep your piercing protected from the sun/water. Try to keep a bandage with you just in case!
I've always been impressed/confused/intrigued by the word anodized? It sounds fancy, but what exactly does it mean? Essentially, anodizing a metal means using an electric process to change the structure of its surface with a special, oxidized layer. What often results is a beautiful color or finish. Although most metals can be anodized, the process works best best on titanium jewelry. Titanium body jewelry is super inert in its natural state and retains that property even after its been anodized, making it a great material for jewelry. We wrote up a whole blog about the topic, check it out here: "Anodized Titanium Jewelry: Is it Safe For Piercings?"
Being pierced and modified goes hand in hand with taking care of your skin - after all, your mods can't be healthy if your skin isn't. We started carrying Christopher David Vitamin C Serum for just that reason - using this once a day can help protect your skin's brightness, can help guard against UV rays, and can keep you looking fresh so your mods can sit comfortably and healthily (although we don't recommend putting this directly on your piercings). Another amazing collection is our HUGE selection of opal jewelry. Opals are super beautiful, super shimmery, and look amazing in the sunlight - deck your piercings out with one of our opal stunners for that next-level look. Last but not least, I love snacks, and a big part of the summertime is fresh, juicy fruits. We have a whole selection of cute fruit jewelry for you to wear out on your next summer picnic! Cherries, grapes, even avocados - you name it, we've got it.
I love The Tea, it's my opportunity to talk about fun piercing/modified related topics and hopefully put some good, positive piercing energy out into the world. But I also love to hear about what Body Candy bbs want to know about. My Dear Alley segment is my opportunity to answer all your pressing piercing questions (or any questions, really). Send over any comments/questions/concerns/compliments to Dearalley@bodycandy.com. Every Saturday, I'll take a minute to answer three compelling ones - who knows, your advice might help out another Body Candy customer! Don't be shy :).
Next week is June, which means new Monthly Clubs! The first of the month is always so exciting - we get to show off our hand-picked, hand-packed curation for all of our Body Candy club customers. What is the Monthly Club? Glad you asked! First - what kind of piercing do you have, because we have something for everyone. We'll pick three new pieces to send you every month to keep your body jewelry game fresh. We've got a monthly club for tongue rings; belly button rings; cartilage studs; nose rings; septum rings; labret studs; industrial bars; nipple rings; t-shirts; and even a club for our new Vitamin C Serum to keep your skin smooth, supple, and hydrated. Check it out!