Are you a Valentine’s Day Hater? Are you jaded about love? Do hearts, flowers and love make you cringe? Well don’t fret, join together to celebrate Anti-Valentine’s day this February!
Every year on February 14th, most people celebrate a holiday in honor of love and affection between two happy people. Valentine’s Day is a day to express your feelings and show off your romantic side. Well, Valentine's Day is right around corner and for some people, it’s a day to look forward, but for others, it’s not so pleasant.
If you would rather forget about the sentiments of this holiday, don’t worry, there’s something for you to look forward to also! It’s called Anti-Valentines Day! This is a day for the broken-hearted, the unattached, the “love-haters” or for people who just don’t want to deal with the stress of Valentine’s Day! Buying expensive gifts, picking out the perfect flowers, making dinner reservations weeks in advance and making sure the night goes perfect!? Ugh, I would rather not deal with the pressures of Valentine’s Day. Think about it, chocolate manufactures, flower boutiques, and greeting card companies are getting rich on this day alone! And to make it worse, it’s a little depressing for those lonely souls out there. For people not in relationships, it’s like a day dedicated to rubbing in the fact that you don’t have someone. All day you have to hear about and look at displays of love. If you’re single, this can really make you miserable. I recently heard this slogan to explain Valentine’s Day: “It’s a L.I.E! a.k.a – Love is Evil!”
Okay, so Valentine’s Day can be bittersweet, but if you want to celebrate this February 14th in a non-traditional way, here are some ideas for having a good time on this Anti-love holiday…
1.) Have an Anti-Valentines Day party! Invite single people, girl friends or people who are so over love! It’s a perfect way for you and your friends to not have to be depressed and alone on this holiday. Some ideas include serving broken-heart shaped cookies, creating an original activity to enjoy (one that doesn’t involve hearts and cupid), and you can even have everyone wear black to the party! You could also play some of these anti-love songs... they will definitely get the festivities going:
“I Will Survive” - Gloria Gaynor
“Love Stinks” - Adam Sandler
“Goodbye to You” - Michelle Branch
“Since U Been Gone” - Kelly Clarkson
“Anti-Love Song”- Lenny Kravitz
“I Don’t Care Anymore”- Phil Collins
“I Don’t Want to Think About You” - Simple Plan
“Leave (Get Out)” - JoJo
2.) Go out to happy hour with some girl friends. Share some funny stories about your exes or bad date stories over a cocktail. This is a great way to get in a few good laughs.
3.) Watch a movie! While many people who actually like Valentines Day cuddle up on the couch to watch some sappy romantic movie with their significant other, I have another option for you. Check out these movies to remind you that being single isn’t so bad!
– Closer (2004) – Natalie Portman, Jude Law and Clive Owen. The relationships of two couples become complicated and deceitful when the man from one couple meets the woman from the other.
– War of the Roses (1989) – Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito. A married couple tries everything to get each other to leave the house in a vicious divorce battle.
– The Break-Up (2006) – Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. In a bid to keep their luxurious condo from their significant other, a couple’s break-up proceeds to get uglier and nastier by the moment.
– Fatal Attraction (1987) – Michael Douglas, Glenn Close and Anne Archer. A married man’s one night stand comes back to haunt him when that woman begins to stalk him and his family.
– Obsessed (2009) – Beyonce Knowles, Idris Elba and Ali Larter. A successful asset manager, who has just received a huge promotion, is blissfully happy in his career and in his marriage. But when a temp worker starts stalking him, all the things he’s worked so hard for are placed in jeopardy.
If you’ve ever have had a broken heart or maybe just haven’t found “the one,” make sure you go Anti-Valentine’s day this February 14th and celebrate in style! You may just find what you’re looking for, you never know.