Your piercer may recommend anti-bacterial soap as a cleanser for your new mod. If your piercer says it's okay and you choose to use anti-bacterial soap to clean your piercing:
- Don't use any products that contain triclosan, a common antibacterial that can irritate the piercing.
- Do not work the soap into the piercing, just let it sit on it and rinse well afterwards.
- Don't use products containing benzalkonium chloride or wound-care products like Baetadine or Bactine which are irritating to the piercing.
- Don't apply antibiotic ointments! These contain petroleum which will create a warm, wet environment that is a perfect home for bacteria.
- Don't go swimming or soak in hot tubs without a secure waterproof covering - this kind of water often harbors unseen bacteria!
- Don't put hygiene products like lotion or makeup near the piercing.